Wednesday, March 12, 2008

why do breeders......

Sorry folks, I just didn't feel like meowing yesterday. Actually, that's not true. I just couldn't think of anything to meow about. Coming up with something daily is hard. I really don't want this to just be about how damn cute Polar and the rest of my cats are. :-) But I could......

Anyhow, a friend and I were chatting about shows and show people in general. You know, it's the same thing we all do when we go out on Saturday during a show. We sit and talk about the show. God forbid we all actually talk about something non cat related.

Well, the conversation turned to why do people breed and not show? If you're producing fine examples of the breed, why not show them off? Why not get someone set up to show an alter? I know, showing is expensive. But so is breeding. If you're going to breed, show the cats. If you're not going to show, give someone an alter and get them started showing. It's a win win situation for a breeder. One, their cat has a good home. Two, their name is now all over the cat fancy as that cat that is being shown is now winning and drawing attention to the breeder. There are breeders that will sell someone an alter for $2000. An alter!! That is ridiculous. Sorry folks, but that's my opinion.

I guess maybe I'm too wrapped up in this. I had a friend give me an absolutely fabulous cat. A cat that he could have easily sold for $2000. But he gave him to me. Because I promised to show him and to give him a good home. Again, a win win situation. Polar now has a good home. Polar is now the highest scoring American Bobtail alter in the history of the breed. And, Jon gets calls all the time asking for a Polar. Think about it.........

On the topic of American Bobtails.....there is a bit of a rescue situation going on somewhere out east. No particular details, but there is a high vet bill involved. If anyone would like to paypal some money to help off set the costs so the cats can be released to the rescue, that would be great. It needs to be done by Friday. Email me and I can get you the information to help. megncats@cox.net Let's see what we can do to help out.

meow for now,
melissa