Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Introduction to the Daily Meow-the Crazy Cat Lady

For quite awhile I've been referred to as the crazy cat lady. By those who don't know any better I guess I am. I have no where near the number of cats necessary to be classified as crazy but my life does seem to revolve around the little furballs, so I guess in the grand scheme of things I am crazy.

I've been fascinated and in love with cats for quite awhile. I used to work as a veterinary technician. I've shown cats for over 12 years. I work as a product manager for a company that makes natural nutritional supplements for dogs and cats. My mother and I also have a vendor booth that we have at local cat shows. We make our own cat beds and cat toys and sell jewelry and Whole Life and Halo cat treats. I've also worked with various rescue groups and humane societies and shelters both here in California and in Illinois where I'm originally from. So, yes, I'm crazy about cats. Dogs too!

I'm originally from the Chicago area; suburbs actually. First Franklin Park, then Addison, Winfield, Bloomingdale. Once I got tired of scraping snow and ice off of my car I decided to pack up the cats and drive across country and settle in Escondido, CA. San Diego County.

I started my cat show career by showing Household Pets. We show in TICA. That's The International Cat Association. Yes, you can show an ordinary house cat. I did this for nine years. It was so much fun. The HHP community in the Great Lakes Region was the best. One big happy family. Before moving to California, I got my dream cat. I got a red classic tabby Maine Coon. Celticpride Quiet Man of ClubRed. Finnegan. I adore Finney. I adore red cats. Finney was my first show alter. It took some time, but I supremed him. And then I met Polar....

Kokopellies Polar Express. A blue silver lynx point American Bobtail longhair. Polar is the absolute dream of dreams. He exemplifies the breed standard and he is a dream to show. I've waited a long time to show a cat that loved to show and that did well. I have Jon VanDuinwyk of Kokopellies American Bobtails & Siberians to thank for this. I saw Polar, I fell in love and Jon offered to give him to me to show. The only stipulation was that I agreed to show Polar in at least 10 shows. Well......Polar is now working on his second International best of breed alter. Last season he finished 27th internationally and 3rd in the region. We should finish somewhere close to that this season as well.

You will be hearing a lot about Polar in the Daily Meow. You will be hearing a lot about Cooncreole Zhivago aka Frosty as well. Frosty is the cat I handle at cat shows for my friend Jon. You will be hearing about TICA cat shows. I will share favorite websites and cat products that I come across. If any of my friends have a brag about their cat, I will share that as well. You will also be hearing about my work with the Escondido Humane Society from time to time. I'm on the planning committee for the annual black tie fundraiser.

Oh.....I do travel quite a bit for cat shows and I work. Sooooo......do not expect a daily, Daily Meow. There will be some days that you won't see an update. That will usually mean that I'm at a cat show. You will get updates when I get home.

meow for now......