Friday, March 7, 2008

those who have money.....

We were having a discussion today at work based on a story that I read on AOL yesterday. The story was about how Bill Gates wasn't the richest man anymore. He was done to #3!! Gasp. How will he survive. Anyways, my attention was drawn to the #2 guy. Sorry, can't remember his name. What I do remember is that he's from India and is currently having a 27 story house built. Okay, I think it was the #2 guy. I'm sure he was in the top 5. But yikes, 27 floors? Which brought us to our discussion.

Everyone of us has those if I won the lottery dreams. I'm sure every single one of us involved in animals has picked a shelter to help. You can bet that if I ever win, there will be a cat building at the Humane Society. We talk about taking care of our friends and family, furry and not so furry. But here are people with billions of dollars and they build things like 27 story houses. Or they give money to help the hungry of Africa or to put kids in Africa through school. Drew Barrymore, on the Oprah show, pledged $1 million dollars of her own money to feed poor kids in Africa.

I'm sorry, but all I can think of is why not take care of our own first? Yes, there are people all over the world in need of help. But.....there are people all over this country that could benefit greatly from a warm meal and an education. And, there is no reason on the face of the earth that our veterans should be sleeping on the streets.

I know, this isn't cat related. This is kind of soap boxy. But who cares. This is my space to talk about what I want. You hear stories about Tom Cruise buying Katie a $10,000 purse. What I could do with $10,000. The cats would all have check ups and dentals, the shelter might get a few extra pet beds or blankets.

Okay off of my soap box. Here is a favorite website: www.theanimalrescuesite.com Please go to it every day and click on the button to feed hungry dogs and cats. Also, while you're there, go to all the other sites and click on them as well. Another thing to do is try to remember this site when you're shopping for a present for someone. If you purchase off of the animal site, all of your purchases fund bowls of food. It's a win, win situation. It's a way that those of us who can't afford 27 story homes can help.

meow for now
melissa