Thursday, March 6, 2008

how did this happen?

So.....how do we get where we are in life? I wasn't much of a cat person early on. Hard to believe. I actually owned those cartoon books 101 Uses for a Dead Cat and 101 More Uses for a Dead Cat. I couldn't help it. I was allergic. Why would anyone love something that they were allergic to? Then one weekend, Mom decided she wanted a cat. A gray and white with a spot on it's nose. Well....we found one at the Anti Cruelty Society in downtown Chicago. Mom picked her out, we adopted her, we brought her home.

A word of advice. If you're transporting a brand new cat, that hasn't had its nails clipped, in one of those cardboard cat carriers, don't tease it. Mom can't do anything about your bleeding finger while she's driving on the expressway. So we got Mom's cat home. Sometime during the night, Mom's new cat decided that she loved me and promptly rubbed her furry self all over my face. Swollen eyes and not being able to breath were a great reason for not going to school the next day. :-)

The rest, as they say, is history. I eventually developed a resistance to Cali's fur. Still being allergic to dogs and cats I decided that being a vet tech and working in an animal hospital seemed like a logical thing to do. Then slowly but surely, the number of cats living with me started to go up, one by one. And if the rescues weren't enough, I decided that I really did need that red Maine Coon. Well.........I did. And so Finney came to live with me and then Polar and then Painted Pony.

It's amazing what can happen to someone who didn't much care for cats.

meow for now.....
melissa