Friday, April 18, 2008

Polar food update

As I posted earlier in the week, I was going to be attempting the seemingly easy task of getting Polar to gain weight. I mean, how hard could it actually be? I personally have absolutely no problem gaining weight. Most of my other cats have no problem either. Polar on the other hand must have an extremely high metabolism. He eats, he runs five feet and has burned off all of the previously eaten calories. I did consider restraining him from any exercise this week. He and Pony of course had other ideas. You just can't keep a Bobtail inactive if they don't want to be.

So, the great quest of calorie packing food started on Monday. Polar was offered ground sirloin. He said no thank you. Polar was then offered a hard boiled egg. He sniffed it and looked interested, but again said no thank you. The next offering was cottage cheese. No thank you. I bought him tuna packed in oil instead of water. He ate some but the look on his face said that it tasted funny. So, no thank you. I also bought him some chicken livers and a ribeye steak. These I have yet to try. Last night I cooked up a chicken breast. He was following me all over the house and begging. Yet, when I would offer him some, he picked at it.

I even went to Kahoots and bought some of the premium, higher protein canned foods. We're 1 for 4 so far. The Tiki Cat, tuna with rice and tilapia was a hit. Everything else.......

He hopped up on the counter this morning wanting to know what was available today. So I got him some of the boiled chicken out of the refrigerator. Um, no thank you. What else? So I caved. I got out the jar of Halo Chicken treats. He sang, he chirped, he danced all over the counter and then inhaled the treats. Little brat.....

I guess I could be like some people and cage him, so he gets no exercise. But that just doesn't seem right. Winning isn't that important.

I'll keep everyone posted on how the chicken livers and ribeye went over. Also some time this weekend I'll probably post an update how Frosty is doing in Maryland at the PACE show with all the heavy hitters.

meow for now,
melissa