Thursday, April 10, 2008

Is it worth it? Play fair.....

This is something that I think about every now and then. Especially at the end of the show season. What is it about some people who think that finishing in first is the only way to finish?

I've been trying to get an International win on Polar for the last two seasons and we'll try again next season. He comes close, but just doesn't quite make it. So far, Polar doesn't seem to mind. When he minds, he will get retired and I will take a look in Jon's cattery to see what I can show next.

But, there are cats out there that do mind. You can tell, they hate the shows. They are beautiful examples of the breeds, but they hate to show. Why show them? Is finishing on top worth it? Every cat I have I got because I wanted it. Okay, I did choose Elsa because I thought she would be a great show cat. Okay, I felt I had to take Mila and Chauncey to save their lives. But other than that......I made a committment to these cats for the rest of their lives, not just their show career.

In the last 13 years, I have seen it all. I've seen people show cats into their graves. I have seen people hit their cats because they didn't final high enough. I have witnessed people blatantly stand in front of a judge in the ring, with their cat. I have seen people drug their cats in order to show them. What's this all about??? People, do you not realize the long term effect on your cat if you're continuously drugging it? Antihistamines are drugs with lasting effects.

If you have to resort to drugging an animal to show it then you have no business in the show hall. My personal opinion. Those who drug their animals have this inner desire to win at all costs. These are people who don't know how to play fair.

I have no problem coming in second or tenth, as long as it was done fair and square. Like I said earlier. I've been trying for an international win on Polar and will continue to try. Would I like number one? Hell yes. Am I realistic? Hell yes. I would be very happy with number 20 international. Anything higher than that would be icing on the cake.

Polar is a damn fine cat. He's one of the best of his breed. But, he's showing in alter class. The alter class is no longer the throw away class. It represents some of the best of the breeds. It is probably the toughest class in the show hall. Any final in the alter class is well earned.

I challenge any and all who are competing to do so fairly. Don't drug your animals. Don't resort to unethical tactics. Play fair and compete. If you have the best cat, the finals will prove it. It's pretty obvious to most which cats are drugged. I personally know of at least two in the show hall that are being shown drugged.

Play fair people. Being number one isn't what it's all about. Competition, fair play, having fun is what it's all about. If you have to be unethical, stay home.

Sorry about the rant, but if you know me, you already know my feelings on people who are unethical. I'll try to think of something happier for tomorrow.

meow for now,
melissa