Friday, October 24, 2008

show this weekend and tribute to Jim Ashley

Well....it's show weekend again. What a shocker. This weekend is Albuquerque. Jon and the boys are already there. I'm flying out tonight after work. We did have a bit of a line up change for the weekend. Little Nicky apparently put his face too close to someone that he shouldn't have and got popped in the eye. :-( So.....he stays home. Taking his place in the line up is his sister Alexandra.

It should be a great weekend. There is a terrific lineup of judges, the weather is supposed to be beautiful and we're showing four wondeful cats. What more could you ask for? Oh...good friends as well. That helps to cap off a great weekend.

On a sad note......the cat fancy lost a valuable member this week. Jim Ashley of the Mid Pacific Region and husband to TICA Judge and Mid Pacific Regional Director, Linda Kay Ashley passed away on Monday. We heard at the Arcadia show this past weekend that he was in the hospital. There was even a get well card being circulated. On Monday we got the news that he passed away. It was definitely a shock. I just saw Jim a few weeks ago in Lodi. I got my final hug and kiss from him. Jim was a true treasure to the cat fancy and will be greatly missed.

There is a show this weekend in Pleasanton, CA, Jim's region. Many of our friends will be there participating in a celebration of Jim's life. In a way, I wish I could be at that show this weekend instead of Albuquerque, to take part in that celebration. But.....I am doing what Jim loved so much. I'm at a show, showing my beloved Polar. Life goes on.

Many people have their memories of Jim. A good many of us have been almost run over by Jim in his motorized wheelchair on numerous occasions. The sight of Jim and Dunn, zipping through the show hall is one I will never forget. The mischevious grin and laugh of his is something that I will never forget either. He was definitely a sweet man with a bit of the devil in him. I do mean that in a good way.

So here's to you Jim. Take good care of our kitties that have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. We will miss you greatly in the show halls.

meow for now,
melissa